Waco Cocaine Possession Attorney
Texas has some of the harshest drug crime penalties for cocaine. As a schedule II drug, cocaine is classified as a dangerous controlled substance that poses a serious potential for abuse. As with any drug crime allegation, the charges and potential penalties you can expect to face will vary depending on the circumstances involved in your case. Call us at 254-753-6437 to talk about your case with a Waco criminal defense lawyer.
Even if you are caught with a small baggy of cocaine in your pocket or you are found at a party where cocaine was also found, you could face severe legal consequences, requiring defense from an experienced local Waco cocaine possession attorney familiar with Texas drug laws.
Penalties for Cocaine Possession in Waco McLennan County, Texas
If you have been arrested in McLennan County for cocaine possession, you could face the following penalties:
- Less than 1 gram: up to 2 years in prison and up to $10,000 fine
- 1 gram – 3.99 grams: 2 – 10 years and up to $10,000 fine
- 4 – 199 grams: 2-20 years and up to $10,000 fine
- 200 – 399 grams: 5 – 99 years and up to $10,000 fine
- 400 grams or more: 10 – 99 years and up to $100,000 fine
Possession charges can be effectively dismissed or significantly reduced through the use of several defense strategies. The strategies that can be applied to your case will depend on a number of factors, particularly the amount of cocaine you allegedly had at the time of arrest and your prior criminal record. In some cases, especially for first offenders, there may be alternative dispute resolutions available and alternative sentencing options that can potentially keep you from jail, which is why you should get a knowledgeable Waco drug lawyer for your case.
Defending Against Possession of Cocaine
If you are charged with possessing cocaine, there are several options that our Waco criminal defense law firm can use. We will investigate the case against you and determine the strongest possible defenses. Depending on the facts of your case, we can argue:
- You did not have possession of the drug
- There was not a usable amount of the drug
- You lacked knowledge of the presence of the drug
- Someone else placed the drug in your home or vehicle intentionally
- You lacked knowledge that the substance was an illegal drug
- Law enforcement conducted an illegal search and seizure
Frequently Asked Questions
You probably have a lot of questions and concerns about being arrested for cocaine possession. Please contact our lawyers to schedule an appointment to talk about your case. In the meantime, please read our frequently asked questions about the criminal process.
Waco Cocaine Lawyer
If you were arrested for possessing cocaine in Waco, you need an aggressive, experienced drug attorney on your side. We have been defending criminal cases in Waco since 1925. We know how to spot weaknesses in the prosecution’s case. Call us for a free case evaluation at 254-753-6437.