Waco Shoplifting Charge
Many good people, including juveniles and adults, make poor decisions based on temporary lapses in judgment. Being charged with shoplifting in Waco is a stressful and humbling experience. A conviction can have consequences like hefty fines and jail time, not to mention damage to a person’s reputation. A shoplifting conviction creates barriers to finding employment. Our Waco criminal defense lawyers have decades of experience in shoplifting cases. Our experience provides our clients with tactics to identify weaknesses in the prosecution’s shoplifting case. Call him us at 254-753-6437 for a free 30-minute consultation.
Arrested for Shoplifting in Waco
Under Texas law, a person is guilty of shoplifting if they unlawfully take property from a commercial enterprise without intending to pay the owner. Shoplifting is considered a form of theft, meaning the classification (misdemeanor or felony) and punishment handed down will depend upon the value of the property stolen.
- You will be found guilty of a Class C misdemeanor if the value of the stolen property is less than $50. You may be ordered to pay a fine of up to $500.
- You will be found guilty of a Class B misdemeanor if the value of the stolen property is $50 or more but less than $500. You may be ordered to pay a fine of up to $2,000 and sentenced to up to six months in jail.
- You will be found guilty of a Class A misdemeanor if the value of the stolen property is $500 or more but less than $1,500. You may be ordered to pay a fine of up to $4,000 and sentenced to up to one year in jail.
- You will be found guilty of a state felony if the value of the stolen property is $1,500 or more but less than $20,000. You may be ordered to pay a fine of up to $10,000 and sentenced to up to 10 years in prison.
- Whether you have been arrested or convicted of shoplifting, you should strongly consider exploring your options for clearing or sealing your criminal record.
Frequently Asked Questions about Criminal Defense
We understand that you probably have a lot of questions about the criminal law process in Waco. We have assembled answers to provide you with that general information so that you can understand the process.
Waco Shoplifting Lawyer
If you need an aggressive shoplifting defense lawyer in Waco, call Dunnam & Dunnam at 254-753-6437. We have decades of experience in handling matters like shoplifting. If you were arrested or investigated for shoplifting, the actions you take now might have a significant impact on your future. Hiring quality legal representation will help you.