Waco Boat Crash Attorneys
Boat crashes occur frequently because many people do not take boat driving as seriously as driving a car. There are many hazards to avoid when sharing Texas lakes or rivers with other boaters. If you or a loved one has been hurt by another person’s negligence you can pursue legal action against that person with an experienced Waco boat accident lawyer. A boat crash can lead to serious injury or wrongful death.
According to Coast Guard research, alcohol was a contributing factor in 308 boating accidents in the U.S. in 2009, causing 330 injuries and 120 deaths. Other top-five contributing factors to boat accidents include:
- Inattentive operation of boats
- Inexperienced operators
- Excessive speed
- Failing to keep a lookout for other boats, objects, and people
Lake Waco and the Brazos River are ideal spots for boating. Tourism has brought people from all over to the Waco waterways. With the increases in boat activity comes an increase in boating accidents. When you are injured because of another person, you should contact an experienced boat accident lawyer in Waco to seek justice.
Waco Boat Accident Causes
Even in the best of weather, Waco boating accidents often occur for the following reasons:
- Collisions with debris or obstacles in the water
- Failure to yield to an oncoming vessel
- Improper passenger or skier behavior
- Improper boat loading
- Operator inattention or inebriation
- Operator inexperience
- Speeding or reckless driving
- Engine malfunction
- Inadequate maintenance
Boating accidents can also include slipping on the deck, hitting your head in the low-ceiling indoor area, or falling overboard.
Hurt in a Waco boat accident
In Texas, boat owners’ are responsible for ensuring that passengers are safe at all times. They must operate the vessel safely and act with reasonable care not to cause injury to passengers or other boaters. A boat owner who fails to meet this responsibility can be held liable.
Also, safety laws require boat owners to provide all passengers with safety jackets and to have other safety equipment, such as fire extinguishers, navigational lights, throw-able rings, and flares on board. If an accident occurs and injuries are made worse because of a lack of safety equipment, the boat owner or operator may be found negligent. A Waco boat accident attorney can help you navigate the legal process involved.
Boating accidents can include any of the following watercraft:
- Personal watercraft (Jetskis, Sea-Doo, WaveRunner, etc.)
- Boat/watercraft versus a swimmer
Boat and watercraft accidents typically occur through operator inattention or negligence. Still, they can also result from defects in the design, manufacture, and maintenance of the boat, its components, or its safety devices. Our Waco boat accident attorneys have experience in these types of cases.
Results in Personal Injury Matters
- $27 million settlement in matter involving the close head injury of a two-week-old child. Read about this case as reported by the Waco Tribune Herald, KCEN-TV, Meat & Poultry Magazine and Topverdict.com.
- $15 million settlement in matter involving the injuries of an ATF agent in the Branch Davidian raid. Read about this case on Justia.com.
- $1.5 million settlement for the injuries caused by a straw purchase of a gun at a pawn shop. Read about this case as reported by the Waco Tribune Herald, and MoreLaw.com.
- $800 thousand verdict for motorcycle driver with broken femur involved in collision with a car.
We are proud of our results reported above, but please note that prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. Each matter depends on the facts of the case.
Common Injuries from Waco Boat Accidents
Watercraft injury accidents can result in the following types of injuries:
- Brain injuries which are a disruption in the normal function of the brain that can be caused by a bump, blow, or jolt to the head
- Spinal cord injury which is damage to any part of the spinal cord or nerves at the end of the spinal canal (cauda equina)
- Paralysis injury is the loss of the ability to move (and sometimes to feel anything) in part or most of the body, typically as a result of illness, poison, or injury
- Drowning and near-drowning
- Sprains and broken bones.
- Crush injuries (especially to hands and feet)
- Burn injury, which is an injury to the skin or other organic tissue primarily caused by heat or due to radiation, radioactivity, electricity, friction, or contact with chemicals.
- Amputation is the action of cutting off a limb.
- Shoulder injury which may arise from the shoulder joint itself or any of the many surrounding muscles, ligaments, or tendons.
- Hearing Loss Injury is a partial or total inability to hear.
- Neck Pain muscles, bones, joints, tendons, ligaments, or nerves – can cause neck problems.
- Fatality caused by another’s misconduct
- Back injury results from damage, wear, or trauma to the bones, muscles, or other tissues of the back. Common back injuries include sprains and strains, herniated discs, and fractured vertebrae. The lumbar spine is often the site of back pain.
Boat accident liability from is typically based on negligence, which is when someone has breached their duty of care for the situation, and that breach results in your injury. Other possibilities include a product liability lawsuit if your watercraft had a defect that caused your injuries.
Waco Boat Accident Lawyer
Our Waco personal injury lawyers have represented accident victims in Waco since 1925. We are here to get you through this together. Our goals are the same—to make sure you can get on with your life and that your legal interests are protected. Although every case is different, we have recovered millions for Waco injury victims. We are here to answer questions about your case. In the meantime, you can read a few of the general frequently asked questions about personal injury claims while you wait to schedule a free legal consultation with one of our Waco attorneys.
Contact one of our Central Waco boat accident attorneys at 254-753-6437 to discuss your claims. The following Waco boating crash attorneys can help you pursue legal action:
Vance has 60 years of experience as a lawyer in Waco, Texas handling all types of cases in both the office and the courtroom.Read More
Vance has been licensed by the State Bar of Texas since 1977 and has practiced law in Waco, Texas since 1978.Read More
Merrilee L. Harmon is a Family Law specialist, Board Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization since 1985.Read More
Andrea's practice focuses primarily in Appellate Law, Civil Trial Law, Family Law, Immigration Law, and General Law.Read More
Thomas C. West is a Criminal Law specialist, Board Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.Read More
Jim Dunnam is a Board Certified Specialist in both Civil Trial Law and Family Law.Read More
Eleeza's practice areas include: Personal Injury Law, Civil Trial Law, Commercial Law, Family Law and Pharmaceutical Law.Read More
Gerald R. Villarrial has practiced family law, criminal law and civil litigation for over 20 years.Read More